Sleep is not a luxury. It’s a necessity for optimal functioning. ~Dr. James O’Brien, Boston SleepCare Center
Over the past week, I have seen a significant increase in the amount of REM sleep. I am not taking a sleep medication, meditating or doing strenuous exercise to exhaust myself before bed. The only change to my bedtime routine has been to include mouth taping.
Essentially, I place three strips of tape horizontally across my lips to ensure my mouth does not open and I can not take in air through my lips. Next, I place one piece of tape vertically from beneath my nose to under my chin.
Mouth taping has the following benefits:
- Reduces dry mouth
- Restores proper moisture balance in sinus tissues
- Restores proper moisture balance in lungs
- May possibly reduce the need for sleep apnea oral compliance (confirm with your doctor!!)
- Increased deep sleep and REM (the healing and recovery phase of sleep)
- Improved tissue growth and repair
- Regulation of hormones
- Increased dreaming and dream recall
- and much more….
Watch the video below and read the listed articles for more details.